Seven Little Australians Living and Learning: Plans for Chiara, Term 3 (Year 10)
Faith- 1 Chapter/Week (Chief Truths of the Faith - Fr Laux)
- Dictation - 3 Paragraph/Week (from Lit. book of your choice)
- Spelling - 1 List/Week (Wordly Wise)
- Grammar/Writing 1 pg/Week (English for Australian Schools Bk 2. OOP)
- Writing 1 Session per week (Institute for Excellence in Writing DVDs)
- Poetry Memorisation 1 Poem/Week (World War 1Poet)
- Typing 1 lesson/day (Typing Tutor CD)
Foreign Language - Italian (Learn Italian Now! CD)
Literature - The following are to be read and then discussed with Mum and Dad.
-Screwtape Letters - C S Lewis
- Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
- Valley of Fear - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Tree of Man - Patrick White
- Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K Jerome
- Villette -Charlotte Bronte
- The Chase - Louisa May Alcott
- Bleak House - Charles Dickens
- Pygmalion - George Bernard Shaw
-A Man for All Seasons - Robert Bolt
- The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Coleridge
Maths - 2 Lessons/Week ( Mathematics.com.au)
Science - 1 Chapter/Week; Read Chapter in textbook, answer Qs in Theory Workbook (Singapore Science)
Geography- 1 State/Week; (American States)
Detailed Research Plans for:
Using the internet, Research and Record the following information for each state.
Location, Area (size) Population, Economy, Nickname, When joined the union and order of joining, origin of name, motto.
Draw a map and include state capital.
Weeks 1-5 World War 1.
Weeks 6 - 10 Russian Revolution, Roaring 20s and the Depression.
Detailed History Plans for:
World War 1
* Mum has to pre-read for suitability
Modern Times - Paul Johnson
All Quite on the Western Front - Remarque *
The Gallipoli Story - Patrick Carlyon
Soldier Boy - Anthony Hill
A Fortunate Life - AB Facey
Anne Perry's World War 1 Quintet.*
No Graves as Yet (1)
Angels in the Gloom (3)
At Some Disputed Barricade (4)
We Shall Not Sleep (5)
*To check out other library books from Adult section
* Dad to preview suitability
Make Anzac Biscuits
Create a Soliders or Nurses Uniform.
Research and Writing
Each of the following should be at least 1 paragraph long, many lend themselves to longer.
Create a personal timeline of important dates, also add dates to the Family Timeline book. Include maps where relevant to clarify your information.
Work must be completed by Week 5, Term 3, in computer printed form.
Using the internet sites bookmarked and non-fiction titles from the Library.
1. List and describe the four causes of World War 1.
2. List and describe the three types of weapons used at the start of WW 1
3. Name at least two new types of warfare developed during the war.
4. Describe trench warfare.
5. Describe the Battle of Gallipoli. (Include mapwork)
6. What does the acronym ANZAC stand for?
7 Where is the Kokoda Trail? Why is this important in Australian hearts?
8 What was the Light Horse Brigade and where did they fight?
9 List the important battles of the Western Front where ANZACs fought. (Include mapwork)
10 The first use of poison gas was at the battle of ….? What were the effects of poison gas?
11 List the countries in which Australians fought in? (Include mapwork)
12 Where Australian soldiers conscripted? Whose choice was this?
13 Describe the type and use of aircraft in the War.
14 What event brought the Americans into the war?
15 List the Allied nations
16 Define or describe the following points:
League of Nations
17 iscuss the roles in which women played in the war and at home.
18 When did the War end and in which city was the treaty signed?
Chose one of the following as an essay topic.(You may suggest your own topic)
Your essay must be at least 200 words and typewritten.
Due to be handed in at the end of Week 5.
· Write a first-hand account of the impact of WWI on the people back home.
· Write frontline journalistic accounts of one or more of the battles.
- Write a letter back home from the trenches.
Plans for Weeks 6-10 to come:
Children - Chiara, Grade 10, Highschool, History, Planning, Term 3 2009